Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Longwave Club of America
04/24/14 at 13:33:42 UTC

ˇ Go To: Original LW Message Board
ˇ Go To: LWCA Longwave Home Page
Welcome! Feel free to view any message, and
    remember to register here if you wish to post.
(Note: Registration is manual, and may take up to 24 hours.)
We recently re-organized the older (read-only) threads into fewer categories. All the original posts are still available, but may be in a different order.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RECEIVERS (Read 5814 times)
doctor795

The world of radio
below 500kHz.

RECEIVERS
08/10/10 at 13:06:36

Interested to know what is a good receiver for receiving beacons..I was looking at the GRUNDIG G6..but of course the reviews do not mention receiving beacons 212-520 , just am/fm/shortwave reception.
Any suggestions..and not the real pricey  radios.

doctor795

IP Logged
wireaddict

The world of radio
below 500kHz.

Re: RECEIVERS
Reply #1 - 08/14/10 at 05:09:55

I've had good results with surplus equipment if you want to go that route & don't mind vacuum tube equipment.  RAK, RBA & RBL series used to be popular in the LWCA.  I owned a RAK-5 or 6 regen radio & got a lot of NDBs with it.  A good source for surplus equipment is Fair Radio Sales,  https://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=view&categoryid=163 & there are others.  Universal Radio also sells used radios [that's where I bought my Drake R7 for about half price].  I've also owned [now obsolete] Heathkit GR-54 [also has vacuum tubes] & GR-78 receivers which can often be found fairly cheap.  Ditto for Heath's SW-7800 but I don't recommend buying one unless you want to jump in & make a number of circuit improvements posted elsewhere in this section.  Icom R-70 & 71 also seem to be  popular radios but I've never tested one.  Also, you should get an isolation transformer [rated at least 25% more current capacity than the radio uses], LF antenna or, if you use a wire antenna, get a variometer or antenna tuner & a good ground such as an iron well casing, if possible.  Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: 08/16/10 at 13:45:06 by wireaddict »  

Dave
  IP Logged
91x
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/16/10 at 06:36:28

I have not purchased a new receiver in over 20 years. And have fought off the occational impulse to buy a real 1000 dollar radio.
But the other day I was looking at youtube and some one posted a video of a Grundig 750 receiving 190khz. My reaction was they
can't do that. I did some research and it turns out they can.  LW MW SW USB LSB AM FM and Aircraft AM bands. Lots of antenna inputs including one that disconnects the internal rotatable ferrite antenna. Audio in and outs. A digi input of some kind I guess for an MP3 player. 3 band widths BFO and a analog S meter. Not bad for 300 bones or less. I bought one for 268$ online. The general feeling I got from reading posts from owners not Grundig bashers is that it is not a bad deal for the price. I have considered this radio for a couple of years but because I did not know it did LW I always backed away from it. BTW LW starts at 100khz. When I get some time logged I will post my real world reaction.

Cool
Lee

IP Logged
doctor795

The world of radio
below 500kHz.

Reply #3 - 08/17/10 at 13:12:24

Sounds good guys. The Grundig is a favorable radio, I have seen reports on it, and they were positive.

Looking forward to your expertise receiving reports

DOCTOR/795

IP Logged
91x
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/01/10 at 00:55:44

Ok Doc795

Received the Grundig 750 about a week ago and I just finished setting up my desk with antenna and ground connections. I will compare it to my DX440 which has the mod to insert an external loop ant and and break the internal loop ant connection. I will do a side by side shootout on its longwave abilities compared to the 440. My intial reaction is I like the way the controls are set up and the way it operates. And it survived my UPS guy who I have trained to throw packages over my fence into my yard. I tried to get to him but to late. Already hurled into the yard. It gets points for being packaged well. More later.
 Cool

IP Logged
91x
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/06/10 at 07:34:32

OK again Doc 795
Here is the 411 so far.
The sat 750 is kind of dissapointing in terms of LW reception. But it does come with the Ext Ant jack for LW and MW so you still can make it right for yor situation. Doing the side by side test with the modified DX440, the DX440 came out the clear winner. It is clear to me that the Sat 750 is set up to receive the Asian/European mega watt broadcasters. But because they thoughtfully included the Ext Ant Loop jack, we can make up for that. If you are willing to build or purchase an external loop/preamp for longwave I am sure you will be very happy with the Sat 750. If not you should look at more pricey radios. This test has prompted me to get moving and build my preamp. There is a very good preamp noted on the internet but I am looking forward to building one that is a little simpler with a smaller parts count. Over all I am still very pleased with my purchase. In point because the Sat 750 has that rotating MW/LW ferrite ant. There was a Panasonic product that had the rotating ferrite loop that I purchased at the Air Force PX in the late 70's. I sold it at a garage sale about 10 years ago and regretted it immedeatley. Now I have a new table top radio with a rotatable ferrite ant. Cool. Apparently I can't attach word docs. I had a word doc to show the reception differences between the mod'ed DX440 and the Sat 750. In short out of 5 local NDB's the stock radios set up on all 5  heard none of them. The Sat 750 using the ext ferrite ant being dicussed on this group heard 3 of them. The DX 440 using the ext ferrite ant being discussed on this group heard 5 of them. Looks like the Sat 750 needs a preamp.
Thanks  
 Cool

IP Logged
Paul

HiFer K6FRC on
13.565 Mhz.

Reply #6 - 09/06/10 at 15:05:31

Thanks for the report.  I was wondering about the 750.

I have an older Satellit 800 on my desk at work with a longwire ont he roof.  It does a great job on LW, but this model is no longer available.

Other than the Kenwood R-5000 rx in the 440, my best LW receiver is the Yacht Boy 400.   No external LW antenna option, but when external ant plugged in, seems to use a combo of the external and internals.  Either way, it does an excellent job for me.  Your mileage may vary.  And, I am not sure how the new model of the YB400 stacks up.  I would assume they are the same.

WWW   IP Logged
91x
Ex Member

Re: RECEIVERS DX440 vs Sat 750
Reply #7 - 02/21/11 at 01:15:17

"In short out of 5 local NDB's the stock radios set up on all 5  heard none of them. The Sat 750 using the ext ferrite ant being dicussed on this group heard 3 of them. The DX 440 using the ext ferrite ant being discussed on this group heard 5 of them. Looks like the Sat 750 needs a preamp. "

Tried an interesting experiment last night. I set up my AM88 transmitter with a 50 ohm dummy load about 10 ft from the mod'ed DX440 [added ext ferrite loop jack] and the Sat 750 [stock ext ferrite loop jack]. Using the ext tuned ferrite loop antenna being discussed on this group connected to the DX440 I got a full 5 bar signal level indication. Now using the Sat 750 on the same ext tuned ferrite loop antenna I got no S-meter level indication. The AM88 was clearly audible but no S-meter indication. Now add a LF Enginnering 202B preamp with an external gain adjust mod between the Sat 750 and ext loop antenna and things change. With  
the 202 preamp gain set for max I got an S4 reading on the Sat 750 S-meter and clean/not distorted much audio. Setting the 202
gain about 3/4 of its full swing provided the S4 reading with the least noise.  
Now this comparison probably says more about the differnces between the 2 radios RF metering circuits that anything else. However
knowing that the 202B can provide up to 27db of gain, it is interesting to note that there is that much difference between the 440 and 750 front ends.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print